Indianapolis Medical Injury and Malpractice Lawyer
According to a study from the Institute of Medicine, approximately 44,000 to 98,000 people in the United States pass away annually due to medical errors that are completely preventable, while another study from HealthGrades, Inc. puts that same number at about 195,000 fatalities per year. Even though medical errors that are preventable are considered the number six leading cause of fatalities in the United States, medical malpractice claims only make up 10 percent of these.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Most physicians and other medical professionals are compassionate, caring, and capable individuals who work hard to ensure the health and livelihood of their patients. However, if a healthcare provider is distracted, failing to pay attention, or carelessly acting without regard for his or her patients, the medical mistakes that or she can make almost always have devastating consequences as they can lead to severe, life-threatening injuries or death.
While medical malpractice can include a variety of situations, the most common cases involve:
- Birth Injuries: This includes things such as brain damage due to insufficient oxygen, cerebral palsy, shoulder dystocia, forceps injures, and Erb’s palsy.
- Hospital Errors: This includes the contraction of MRSA or staph infections due to adequate measures not being taken to prevent them, sepsis, and bedsores.
- Emergency Room Mistakes: This can include the failure to diagnose a stroke or other heart condition that may cause a patients symptoms to worsen, or result in death once the patient returns home.
- Surgical Errors: This will include anesthesia errors, post-surgical infections, surgeons amputating the incorrect part of the body, operating on the wrong side of a patient’s body, or cutting organs or blood vessels during the procedure.
- Prescription Drug Issues: This includes any pharmacy errors, improper medication dispensed, reactions to a medication that were avoidable, improper dosing or FDA recalls.
- Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis: This includes any situation of delayed diagnosis that is fatal, including diseases such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, brain cancer, or meningitis.
Even though this list is not exhaustive, it offers an idea of the various cases handled by Jacobs Law LLC in the past. Our Indianapolis malpractice lawyers have helped victims from across Indiana who have sustained injuries in a variety of medical malpractice cases. It is important that you consider seeking legal representation as soon as you feel that you have a claim. In the state of Indiana, you have two years from the date of the injury to take legal action; if you fail to do so within this statute of limitations, you may forever lose the opportunity to seek justice for your condition.
At Jacobs Law, LLC, we can help you and your family by using our expertise and experience to evaluate your case and investigate the incident to determine fault. Our experienced medical malpractice attorneys can also arrange expert medical testimony to indicate when and where the situation went awry during your treatment. If insurance companies are involved, our legal team can speak with them on your behalf and allow you to focus on what matters most: your recovery and healing. Should your case go to trial, Jacobs Law, LLC can build a compelling case and fight for your legal rights so that you receive the compensation to which you may be entitled.
Have You Been a Victim of Medical Malpractice?
The medical malpractice lawyers at Jacobs Law, LLC do not feel as though you should have to suffer as a result of a healthcare provider’s mistake. For more than 25 years in personal injury law, we have represented victims of medical malpractice and helped them and their families to hold the appropriate parties responsible for their injuries. If you believe you have a medical malpractice case due to an injury or death that happen to you, or your loved one, contact Jacobs Law LLC today. We can be reached at (877) 418-5589. You can receive a free consultation to determine how we will be able to assist your family and to seek the compensation to which you may be entitled.
Common Mistakes in Medical Records that Harm Your Injury Case
Indianapolis, Indiana Injury Attorney Serving Vitcims of Medical Record Errors Medical record errors in your injury case could be detrimental to the outcome of your lawsuit. Sadly, it is a normal occurrence that medical records contain inaccurate or misleading information. Sometimes, there remain significant omissions that interfere with your case. Therefore, it is crucial that […]READ MORE